Sunday, April 22, 2007

Student Days Fried Rice


All this week, had felt like cooking fried rice, based on a recipe from my uni roommate YL. Making this dish today brought back so many memories, like how we used to eat broken rice because we couldn't afford the more expensive whole grain Thai rice, how we used Spam to fry with the rice because seafood was horrendously expensive in London, and how in a flash of time, it has been 10 years since my first year in university. It is summer in London now, where I'm going back to in 2 weeks time on a working trip, and I can't wait to see my old haunts and do the things that I used to do, like eating a jam-filled donut while lounging on the grass in Hyde Park with a good book, buying lovely jams and biscuits from Marks & Sparks, eating pots of mussels and drinking fruit beer at Belgos...

Anyway, here's YL's fried rice recipe, jazzed up with the addition of prawns, which I can now afford :)
Fry an omelette, Chinese style. Slice the omelette into slivers when cool.
Heat up a generous dollop of oil. Sweat garlic cloves. When brown but not burnt, throw in diced Spam or luncheon meat and fry till fragrant. Throw in prawns and fry till half-cooked, then fry in cooked rice (left overnight in the fridge). Add in mixed vegetables and season with light soya sauce to taste. Eat hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment