Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Fantastic Dinner at Europea




Back in Singapore after a long 24 hour journey, and this post is just to round up my eat-fest in Montreal. Firstly, I tried dinner at Toque! which had very good reviews by the New York Times but I was not impressed. Sure enough, the food was good, but there was none of that wow factor which I was expecting from a place with such high prices and international rating (maybe that's why). Waiters were coldly efficient and friendly enough, but not warm and gave me the feeling that they were rather snobbish....

Happily, this experience was more then redeemed on my last night in Montreal, when I went to Europea, which I had stopped by previously to buy macarons. I had the degustation menu, which came up to a total of $100 canadian dollars including tips (about $150 SGD), which comprised the following lovely courses:
- Lobster cream capuccino with white truffle oil
- Roasted scallop and langoustine in veal broth
- Pan fried foie gras, foie gras 'au torche' with pineapple chutney, duck confit with sundried tomatoes
- Light CO2 foam of caesar salad (i thought this was very innovative! Tasted like caesar salad but looked and had the texture of a light green mousse)
- Roasted alaskan crab leg with butter and cream, lobster ravioli
- Warm goat cheese crumble with pistachio nuts, organic figs
- Chocolate raviolis, suzette caramel and orange zest
- White chocolate parfait, passion fruit mousse

Oh my goodness, all the food was really good stuff and at a very worthwhile price, considering the quality. I especially loved the seared foie gras and the grilled alaskan crab leg. I also appreciated very much the chef's efforts in talking to every table (he took a photo with me!), and the little gift of banana cake which they gave to every customer to take away (they also gave macarons...). Left very happy when I walked out of the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment