Monday, October 22, 2007

Friends!


I was quite happy to discover a new place for nice business lunches around my workplace – Friends @ Jelita. They are located above Cold Storage@Jelita, along Holland Road. Apparently their Serangoon Gardens branch is quite well known, and they’ve now branched out into the west. As my academic researcher friend and I have a standing arrangement to meet for lunch once a month, we went there last Friday to take advantage of their special Citibank one-for-one set lunch offer (two can have a good 4-course set lunch for about $28 which is fantastic).

Friends has absolutely the most delicious foccacia bread that I’ve ever eaten – warm, savoury, and filled with lots of delectable bits of olive, roasted garlic, sundried tomatoes and olives. I ended up taking 2 pieces! The starter of salad wasn’t that extraordinary, but the main course of kami sakura chicken breast fillet stuffed with polenta mushrooms and truffle jus was a real knockout. The writeup described “kami sakura chicken” as being specially bred so that their meat is especially sweet, tender and juicy, and it was indeed true, even with the breast meat which is so prone to drying out. The chicken was complemented perfectly with the earthy mushrooms and redolent truffle jus. However, desserts were very much a let-down with two tiny squares of overly sweet cake per person. This was partly compensated by the good coffee. Other dessert choices on the menu looked equally insipid. If not for the Citibank offer effectively halving the price, I would have thought that Friends could have done much better for the price that they charged.

N.B. Photos will be posted soon. I took a photo with my handphone but left the data transfer cable in the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment