Monday, January 10, 2011

Table 66

It feels like it has been a seriously long time since I've sat down to a proper, multiple course western meal. Of course, it has only been two and a bit months since Ethan arrived, but so much has changed!


Table 66 - named after its address (on 66 Tras Street) - had been favourably reviewed by many food bloggers in the past year and thus it came to mind when we were searching for a nice lunch place after running some banking errands in the CBD area. Chef-owner Vincent Teng is formerly from Desire at Scarlet Hotel, which I had also long wanted to check out.


E and I opted for the 4 course UOB special set lunch menu (SGD68 for two). We started with a cream of broccoli soup which was palatable, but otherwise undistinguished - thus, no photo.


Table 66_Starter


The starter of Hokkaido scallop tataki with pineapple salsa on the other hand, was excellent. Lightly seared large and sweet scallops, still moist and just barely cooked on the inside, perfectly complemented by the sweet pinepapple salsa with just the right tinge of sourness.


Table 66_Main 2

It got better though, my main of confit salmon was excellent. One seldom raves about salmon because it is such a yawn-inducing dish but this was truely an eye-opener. Meltingly moist and tender flesh, with cracklingly thin crispy skin, salted just right! I marvelled - how does the chef achieve this effect?


Table 66_Main 1


In comparison, E's main of grilled beef medallion with veal jus reduction in red wine butter was only just okay, though I think both of us are a bit spoilt from eating too many good steaks.


Table 66_Dessert

Finally, dessert of hazelnut mousse praline with chocolate feuilletine crust. I didn't care for this, as I felt that it tasted more like banana mousse instead but E said that he could taste the hazelnut flavour.

Table 66 feels very honest and down-to-earth - a small menu selection that is well curated and this carries through to the interior furnishings which are simple and clean. I wouldn't mind going back there if I'm around the area but for me at least, this wouldn't merit a special trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment