Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Smiths Authentic Fish and Chips

Smiths Fish and Chips

Hankering for a taste of the quintessential Brit favourite, I was enthusiastic to check out this chippy that had opened at Tanjong Katong Road.

I loved the set-up, with the fryer right out in front and the fried fish pieces displayed in a glass panel, exactly like how I remembered it from my school days, when I used to hang out at the Kensington / Gloucester Road area. The fish and chips even came wrapped up nicely in paper parcels :-) Portions were huge too! E and I shared a 'haddock n chips' (SGD16) and mushy peas (SGD2) and were comfortably full. The fish was beautifully done and earned the thumbs up from both of us - a thin, crispy, light batter with moist and tender, piping hot flakes of white flesh beneath. The chips were great too, generously cut and slightly soft/limp, just the way I like it. With a generous douse of malt vinegar and salt on everything, I was a happy camper. What a wonderful whiff of nostalgia this visit brought to me.


N.B: Pl excuse the crappy photo. Ethan was "fussing" a little as it was mid-way through his noon nap and thus I had no time to "fuss" around with camera angles, lighting and such!

No comments:

Post a Comment