Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Shiraishi

Shiraishi Bento 2

There's a recurrent Japanese theme going on when E and I celebrate my birthday (Ikukan, Wahiro, Goto in previous years). My choice this year was Shiraishi, located at the Ritz-Carlton Singapore, since so many customers had raved about it, and I was curious to know how it would stand up against my favourites of Shinji by Kanesaka and Tatsuya.

Shiraishi Edomae Sushi

Unfortunately my Japanese dining experiences shall I fear, be henceforth classified as Before Shinji (BS) and After Shinji (AS). It was a good lunch but nowhere near the magical take that we had at Shinji - of course, to be fair the price points are also nowhere near that of Shinji's.


E had the Edomae Special (SGD40) with 8 pieces of sushi, clear soup, and dessert, since this is what Chef Shiraishi-san is famous for, while I went for the Hisago Bento (SGD 50) which had sashimi, mixed appetisers, grilled fish, tempura on rice, soup, and dessert. Pleasant surprise, my sashimi selection even had two pieces of otoro, which were adequately meltingly oily but expectedly paled in comparison to what we had at Shinji.

Shiraishi Bento

It looks like it's going to take a while to wean my tastebuds off their expensive tastes (or E's wallet is going to burn)! I am sure that we would have been very happy with Shiraishi had we gone a few months ago.

Shiraishi: #03-01 Ritz-Carlton Millenia Singapore

http://shiraishi.sg/


No comments:

Post a Comment