Sunday, August 2, 2009

North Border Bar & Grill, Revisited



Having ordered the wrong stuff at North Border Bar & Grill on my previous visit, a return trip was in order so that I could get a better sense of the quality of food there.

This time round, for my starter, I ordered the Mexican Jalapeno Peppers stuffed with cream cheese, served with mango salsa. This was FIERCE stuff! I love chillis but the spiciness and hotness of this was on another flaming hot level altogether. Good that the restaurant served it with cream cheese and mango salsa which helped to douse the fire somewhat. In case the above doesn't sound too flattering, actually I enjoyed the dish :-)

Main course was baked portobello mushrooms stuffed with sundried tomatoes and cheese on avocado pesto which was alright but nothing spectacular - I felt that the cheese didn't really complement the mushroom and I could hardly taste any sundried tomato either. Portobello mushrooms were big and juicy, almost meaty.

It was only after the meal that I realised I had inadvertently gone vegetarian! Anyway, after scrutinising the menu, I came to the conclusion that it was not really my fault for ordering the wrong things the previous time since there were hardly any items that qualified as Tex-Mex for mains? Apart from perhaps the grilled ribeye steak. Anyway, while the food is decent but nothing to shout about, I would still come back here, for the jalapeno peppers, as well as the super laid back, garden feel of the place. This is the sort of place where you can easily while away the entire afternoon, sipping chilled white wine and muching on tacos with salsa dip...ooh time for another vacation methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment